Yuh know yuh is a
- ..you eat fries often with a FORK,
ketchup and mustard.
- ..On at least one occasion you have
been told that you have a cold in some part of your anatomy other
than your head or chest, had a flu virus named after something
popular with the times eg. The Toro-toro cold.
- ..despite lack of interest, someone
has tried to convince you of the benefits of taking a purge, or
becoming 'saved' by some religion.
- ..no matter how old you are, you
call your parents mummy and daddy.
- ..you sometimes call fries,
- ..you love salt prunes and 'chinee
- ..you know the meaning of "dahl",
"channa", "anchar", "kurma" and "buss-up-shot".
- ..you've called someone (or been
called) chunkalunks, thick ting, 'family'(even if she's not
remotely related to you!),doo doo, breds, horse, partner.
- ..you know what a maxi-taxi
- ..you know a "lime" is not always
referring to fruit.
- ..you've eaten wild meat at some
time: 'guana, lappe, 'gouti, tattoo, matte, deer etc.
- ..you call a friend's mother
"auntie" and their father "uncle" even though they are not related
- ..you love soca.
- ..you know entire parang songs in
perfect Spanish, word for word every Christmas, but cannot speak a
word of conversational Spanish to save your life.
- ..you know how to RAMAJAY and
- ..you can call your fellow country
man by an ethnic name fondly and it would be okay. eg: darkie,
reds, dougs, chinee-man, creole, red-man, white-boy,
- ..you know how to 'dig a
- ..you know how to'fix yuh
- ..you doh like 'chain-up talk','ole
talk' or 'mamaguy'.
- ..you know how to be a 'falcon' and
- ..you know of at least one person
who gets up at 4 am to listen to cricket on the radio in
Australia, India or wherever.
- ..you feel cold when it's 25
- ..you know the taste of solo Apple
- ..you use bitters in any and every
- ..you know that Kiss is the name of
a bread label.
- ..your cupboards are full of corned
beef, red beans, vienna sausage, pepper sauce, baked beans and a
dry coconut for the pelau.
- ..you tell the host "good night"
when you arrive at someone's house in the evening and you probably
do it whenever you answer the phone too.
- ..you know all about weave-on,
braiding, dry-curl, gerri-curl, pressing and relaxing regardless
of your ethnic origin.
- ..you know what a washy-kong
- ..you can remember the days when
the 'dollar wine' was it and Blue Boy ruled the Road March.
- ..you still wonder if a '24- hour
lizard' will stick to you and have to be removed with a hot
- ..you love Ato Boldon.
- ..you know who Miss Jean is.
- ..and you know you are a TRINI if
you really love the place you call home---Trinidad!!!!
- ..you refer to all powdered
cleaning agents as VIM.
- ..you refer to all salt crackers as
- ..you call hard candies
- ..you know the meaning of the
- ..you go to house 'limes' for the
- ..you're the one standing next to
plenty luggage and boxes in the airport.
- ..you greet someone with a "bounce"
on the fist.
- ..you nod your head upwards to
greet someone and sideways if the joke stale.
- ..you use an umbrella for shade on
hot days and never have one when it's raining.
- ..you say "boy" at the beginning of
- ..your conversations are inflected
with expressions like, "Ent?" and "fuh real?"
- ..you know how to wine!
- ..you hang a rosary on your car
rearview mirror even if you're not Catholic.
- ..you put ketchup and/or pepper
sauce on your pizza.
- ..you make a drink from peanut
butter and even ice-cream but you never eat it with jelly on your
- ..you wash and re-use plastic and
styrofoam cups..to go with the plastic take-out spoons and forks
cutlery set in the draw.
- ..you have shares in
- ..the word 'storm' to you is used
as a verb and has nothing to do with the weather.
- ..you adore Ms.Universe '98.
- ..you put ice in your beer.
- ..you bring home left over food
from any function and any party.
- ..you think a "beer is a
- ..you believe DuMaurier is doing it
- ..you say,"I jus'dey" to mean I'm
- ..you wash the 'wares' after having
- ..you call a quarter a "shilling"
when this really means 24 cents.
- ..you know what a skettel
- ..you know what it means to be
- ..you know that blue soap makes
white clothes whiter.
- ..you have at least one relative
living in England, Canada or the US.
- ..you either see, speak to, lime
with or hear about at least one of your "ex's" regularly.
- ..you have cancelled plans because
of rain even when it's going to be indoors.
- ..Rain is also a legitimate reason
to miss work at home in Trinidad....
- ..a rubber is an eraser.
- ..you are able to recite at least
one (or several)line(s) from Sesame Street.
- ..you have been to several parties
where you have seen the sun rise.
- ..you have missed work because of
going to fetes.
- ..you know someone with a gold
tooth or several.
- ..you know how to give a
- ..you still give people an
- ..you can tell lots of stale jokes
from the collection you've gathered over the years through friends
- ..you use baby powder.
- ..you use methylated spirits to
clean your skin sometimes.
- ..you know at least one person with
their name on either their belt buckle, ear-ring or their chain
return for more
jokes/ retour menu humour